Last Updated July 2021 by Crystallace
Is free stuff always a good thing? Hey everyone.! Welcome back.
I’m sure you see a lot of successful bloggers swear by having an email list to promote products and services.
But, how can you collect email addresses when you’re just getting started?
The answer, offer blog freebies. So today we are going to talk about
Blog Freebie Ideas to Help Boost Email Signups
What is an blog freebie?
A blog freebie or an opt in freebie is any product that you give to your readers for free in exchange for their email address.
For example, if you are a health and wellness blogger, and you want to start building your email list, you can do that by providing a free download meal prep plan.
So how do I launch a blog freebie?
First, you need to know what kind of freebie your audience wants. You can get this information by posting a poll or question on your social media accounts, or asking members from your Facebook group.
Second, get to work. For digital products, Canva or Adobe Photoshop is commonly used.
Third, choose an email marketing software. I’m using Convertkit This is where your email subscribers are stored. Some have landing page features that you can customize according to your brand.
Lastly, start spreading the news. Share the link to your landing page everywhere. And as soon as they give their email address, your blog freebie will go straight to their inbox. Congratulations, you got yourself a new email subscriber!
A very important note:
Before you collect personal information like email addresses, make sure that you have legal pages on your blog. For this, I highly recommend my Website Legal Bundle. This bundle consists of 3 legal pages that will protect you, your business, and your audience. Most of all, it provides transparency on how information is being gathered, and what it’s for.
Since you will be collecting names and email addresses, your audience needs to be reassured that their information is safe with you. Not to mention, the law requires that you have it.
How to create freebies for your blog?
Blog freebies can be in a form of physical or digital products. Physical products are those that need to be delivered in the mail, whereas digital products can be sent via the internet.
Physical products have a personal touch to them, but it isn’t cheap. If you have readers from other countries, shipping can be a problem, too.
Digital products are easy to make, cheap, and more often free. You can whip up something using a free Canva account, and send it to your readers via email.
Then, you can store your blog freebies in Google Drive or Dropbox for future use.
What’s amazing about having blog freebies is that you can use them over and over. If you want, you can update your blog freebies every year to keep it up to date.
Blog freebie ideas for a startup blog
- Checklist/Worksheet – this is a printable, colored or in black and white, that your audience can use to create to-do lists, shopping lists, writing exercises, etc. This is an excellent blog freebie idea for lifestyle and homeschooling/parenting bloggers.
- Ebook – This takes a lot of work, but it will be worth it. First, you create your first draft using Google doc and then use Canva (or Adobe Photoshop) for the layout. A blog freebie like this is usually about 10-15 pages.
- Email course – A 7-day email course is most common. For example, your audience signs up for the course and he/she will receive 7 emails every day for 7 days. This blog freebie can be in video format or PDF.
- Bundles – Bundles are great because your audience will feel that they have a bit of everything for free. For example, if you blog about crocheting, you can create a bundle that consists of a 10-page ebook, a 3-page crochet design template, and an instructional video.
- Free access – One thing that attracts email subscribers is exclusivity. Convince your readers that by joining your email list, they get free access to exclusive content that you don’t share anywhere else.
As the saying goes, “The best things in life are free.”
But as a blogging business owner, be careful not to give away too much.
Remember, the reason why you are giving away blog freebies is that you want to build an email list, which, over time will help monetize your blog.
Giving away blog freebies is simply a warm-up exercise. When you’re ready, you can start promoting products
Lastly, an email list will allow you to get close and personal to your audience, people that really value your work. Sometimes, it’s easy to reply to an email, rather than comment on social media for everyone to see.
For more blog freed ideas and inspiration check out this list with over 100 Freebies to Live Your Best Life.