Last Updated March 2022 by Crystallace
I’m going to just cut straight to the chase. The only way to avoid soupy or dry cornbread dressing this holiday season is to make your own.
So here is an easy, delicious, and moist Southern Cornbread Dressing recipe that won’t disappoint.
Be sure to Pin 📌 this recipe to your board! Then head over to my YouTube channel and bake it with me while I share my best tips and tricks for making the perfect cornbread dressing.
This recipe is delicious and requires few steps. Best prepared in a 13 x 9 glass or ceramic baking dish, this meal serves approximately twelve.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Easy-to-find ingredients
- Easily customizable
What You’ll Need
- 3 boxes of Jiffy Cornbread Mix
- Freshly grounded pepper
- Coarse salt
- Chicken Broth
- Poultry Seasoning
Southern Cornbread Dressing Recipe Tips & Ticks
- Be sure to use Jiffy Cornbread Mix, nothing else tastes the same.
- Don’t overcook the cornbread
- Set a timer for the dressing and take it out when it is done. It will need a little time to stiffen but you don’t want to over cook it.
- Try to cut up the onion and celery as small as you can to avoid biting into chunks of it. You can even use a blender or food small processor to achieve small bits.
- I use Swanson’s Chicken Broth and McCormick Seasonings.
Perfect Beginner’s Recipe: Easy Southern Cornbread Dressing
- 1 tbsp Poultry seasoning
- 2 cup Celery
- 2 cup Onion
- 2 tbsp Sage
- 2 Eggs
- 1 qt Chicken broth
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 8 cup Cornbread
- 1/2 cup Butter
Pre-Step for Making Cornbread Dressing
Make the Cornbread
For this step you can used 3 boxes of Jiffy and make according to the direction on the box.
Once the Cornbread is out of the oven and cool, crumble the cornbread, then dry measure out 8 cups.
1. Melt butter in a heavy skillet; add celery and onion. Saute 5 minutes or until onion and celery are tender.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine crumbled cornbread and broth.
3. Season with salt, pepper, sage, and poultry seasoning.
4. Stir in celery and onions.
5. Add eggs and mix well.
6. Pour into a large baking dish.
7. Cover and bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Remove cover during last 15 minutes of cook time to brown top.
Serve with cranberry sauce and enjoy!