Last Updated September 2021 by Crystallace
Back when blogging was best described as an “online diary”, a lot of us probably attempted to start an anonymous blog. I know I did.
And whether or not you want to be on the same boat, there is a voice inside of you that says, “I can do it, too.”
And you’re right...but you want to do it in secret…
Maybe it’s because you plan on sharing intimate details about your family, finances, health, or relationships. Whatever your reasons are don’t be discouraged. Anonymous blogs can be profitable and successful.
But, what makes an anonymous blog successful today?
How long does it take to make money from it?
How do I keep the blog running?
If these questions are stopping you from your desire to start an anonymous blog, today you’re in luck. Because in this blog post we’re going to dive into how to start an anonymous blog and make money off of it.
How do I start an anonymous blog ?
Before you start an anonymous blog, it is important to define your goals and purpose for starting one. First, ask yourself:
- Why do you want to start a blog in secret?
- What is stopping you from “owning” this blog in public?
- What is your blogging business model for this anonymous blog?
- What are the risks of starting an anonymous blog?
- How long do I want to keep it private?
Can I make money as an anonymous blogger?
Yes. There are many ways to start an anonymous blog and make money.
Think of it this way.
There are content creators on YouTube that don’t show their faces but still get thousands (and millions) of views.
Meanwhile, we also have animators like Andrei Terbea.
Lastly, we have the drama/gossip channels like Tea Spill.
Not showing your face sparks curiosity. And for some reason, this is what drives a YouTube channel to be successful.
The same concept applies when you start an anonymous blog.
The more you stay anonymous, the more curious your audience would be, which will eventually lead to gaining loyal readers/followers.
Above all, this type of content doesn’t rely heavily on who’s behind the camera. Rather, the quality, concept, and style of the content is more superior that the content creator.
Now, back to blogging.
If you are familiar with Project 24 by Income School, you would know that there are independent bloggers who blog anonymously and own multiple niche sites. These blogging business owners mostly follow 2 business models. These are:
- Create and sell – Start a blog from scratch and sell it to other bloggers
- Create and keep – Start a blog from scratch and keep it to earn full time passive income
Whatever business model you choose when you start an anonymous blog, the process can be a pain or a blessing. Weigh your options, so that you can focus on your goals on making money from it.
How to start an anonymous blog from scratch
- Register a domain name – If your goal is to keep your true identify while blogging, choose a domain name that is related to your niche, and is completely opposite of the real you. This way, no one would guess that the blog is owned by you.
- Get web hosting – You can get standard web hosting for as low as $5/month. To find which company you’d like your blog to be hosted, I highly recommend you check out my blog post on how to start a Christian blog (insert link).
- Install WordPress – Next is to setup the backbone of your anonymous blog, and that is to install WordPress. Don’t worry, this part is very easy. You can even ask your web host to do it for you.
- Install and activate a WordPress theme – A WordPress theme is the overall web design of your anonymous blog. By default, WordPress will provide some options for you. But, you can also go to Dashboard > Appearance > Themes > Add new to find what other themes are available for you. Also, there are marketplaces that offer premium themes like this one.
5. Get Legal Pages– This is the most important step when it comes to how to start an anonymous blog or any blog for that matter. I talk about why having legal pages are so important in this blog post. Just because you are blogging anonymously doesn’t mean that you can hide from the government. You want to protect yourself and your blog.
6. Start blogging – Now that your blog is all setup, time to create content. To publish a blog post, just go to your Dashboard > Posts > Add new and start writing.
Final thoughts on how to start an anonymous blog
You may have personal reasons as to why you want to start an anonymous blog.
I get it.
Don’t feel obligated to share everything online. Figure out what you want to be known for first, then go from there. You have the power to draw the line with your audience and keep personal matters off the internet.
Remember, the goal is not to reach celebrity status but to start an online blogging business that can thrive in the future.
If you want to be known for your watercolor skills, great.
If you want to go by a pseudonym, that’s good, too.
Don’t deprive yourself of keeping precious moments with friends and family and celebrating in private.
It’s your life. You’re in control.